We suggest packing everything in one large and soft, heavy-duty canvas duffel bag (recommended over hard suitcases). Be sure that your bag is tagged with your personal info and that you have also tagged it with the lodge destination tags that we send you.
Please remember that since your luggage is flying into a remote location luggage weight is limited to a maximum of 50 lbs. The lodge features all the comforts of home and casual is comfortable so you don’t need to bring a lot.
Weather in June and July at North Knife Lake can vary widely with highs of 80°F and lows of 50°F. It is best to be prepared for both extremes – think layers with waterproof toppers.
Our 30 years of experience on the lake have given us plenty of time to perfect the “what to bring list”:
- Comfortable, waterproof footwear (shoes or boots)
- Gore-Tex or similar rain jacket and pants
- Rubber or neoprene gloves with cotton insert
- A warm, waterproof hat
- 3 cotton or quick dry shirts
- 3 pairs of cargo or quick dry pants
- 6 pairs heavy socks
- Indoor shoes
- Medium heavy wool or fleece sweater
- 2 pairs Insulated underwear
- Toothbrush and paste
- Razor and shaving lotion
- Personal medication
- Hair care products
- Polarized Sunglasses
- Digital camera and spare batteries
- Bug repellent (Muskol or Cutter) in liquid form
Note: North Knife Lake Lodge does have a full service tackle store on site as well as loaner rods and reels. You must contact the office if you intend to rent rods and reels to book your rental, and inquire about rental rates. The following information is a comprehensive list of ALL POSSIBLE tackle and equipment for fishing at North Knife Lake. Please do not bring everything on the list – tailor what you bring to the type of fishing you will be doing.
Spinning/Casting Rod, Reel, Line Recommendations
Northern Pike/Lake Trout
- Rods: 6’-7’ Medium-heavy action spinning or bait casting rods.
- Reels: Medium to med/heavy spinning reels.
- Line: 17 to 20 lb test monofilament line.
- Rod: 5 1/2 to 6′ Ultra-light spinning rod.
- Reels: Ultra light to light spinning reels.
- Line: 4 to 6 lb test monofilament line.
- Rods: 5 1/2 – 6′ light/ medium action spinning rods.
- Reels: Light to medium spinning reels.
- Line: 6 lb test monofilament line.
Fly Rod, Reel and Line Recommendations
Northern Pike/Lake Trout
- Rods: 9 to 9 1/2 ‘ 9 to 10 weight rod w/ fast tip.
- Reels: 9 to 10 weight large arbour reel w/ disc drag.
- Line: 9 to 10 weight line; spring – floating/intermediate; summer – sink tip/full sink
- Rod: 8 to 9′ 4 to 6 weight rod.
- Reels:4 to 6 weight reel w/ disc drag.
- Line: 4 to 6 weight floating/intermediate line.
- Rods: 9’5 to 6 weight rod w/fast tip.
- Reel:5 to 6 weight reel w/ disc drag.
- Line: 5 to 6 weight floating/intermediate line.
Lures, Flies and Leader Recommendations
*Note: Manitoba law and North Knife Lake Lodge management require barb-less hooks and only one (1) treble hook or single hook per lure.
- Spoons: Johnson Silver Minnow 1 1/8 oz., Ruby Eyes 4 “, Mepps Cyclops, Five of Diamonds 1 o.z., Jawbreakers
- Spinners: Spinner Baits 1o.z, Mepps Musky Killers, Mepps Aglia Dressed
- Stickbaits: Suick 6 “, Manns 1-Minus, Husky Jerks
- Topwater: Storm Rattlin Chug Bugs 4″, Rebel Buzz’n Frogs 4″
- Plastics/Jigs: Sluggo’s 6″, Storm Swim Shads 5″, Tiger Tubes 4”, 1 o.z weedless jig w/ 5″ yum zellamander, 3/8 o.z. J-Mac Jigs w/ 6” Sassy Shad Tail
- Flies: 6″ Bunny Leetch, 6″ Trophy Tamer, 4″ Deceiver, Deer Hair Mouse, Divers
- Leaders: 12 to 18 inch cross lok titanium/steel leader. 6ft 20 lb test flurocarbon with 15 inch Nylo Strand/Tiger Wire tippet for flies.
- Spoons: Ruby Eyes 2 o.z., Daredevles 2 o.z, Williams Wobbler/Whitefish, Little Cleos 1 o.z., Half Waves
- Stickbaits: T 60’S, Lazy Ikes
- Spinners: Mepps Musky Killers, Mepps Aglia
- Plastics/Jigs: Tiger Tubes 4″, Storm Swim Shads 5″, 2 to 4 o.z jigs w/ 4 to 6 ” power/reaper tail, 2 to 4 o.z. bucktail jigs, depth charges 2 o.z.
- Flies: 3to 6 inch leetch patterns, Decievers, Wistlers, Clousers
- Leaders: 8 to 14 tapered flurocarbon leaders 6 to 9ft.
- Spoons: 1/8 o.z. 5 of diamonds, red & white
- Spinners: 1/8 o.z. Mepps, Panther Martin, Blue Fox
- Jigs: 1/8 o.z tube jigs
- Flies: Fur Ant, Royal Wulff, Caddis,Adams, Black Caddis, Prince Nymph, Hare’s Ear, Micro Leetch sizes 12 to 18
- Leaders: 4 to 8 lb tapered leaders 6 to 9ft.
- Jigs: 1/4 to 3/8 o.z. jigs with 4 ” twister or power tails.
- Crank Baits: 3 to 4 inch Rapala Shad Raps, Walleye Divers, Bombers
- Flies: Leetch patterns, deceivers, Clousers size 4 to 8
- Leaders: 4 to 8 lb tapered leader 6 to 9ft.
- Flies: Steamer leetch / micro leetch size 4 to 8, muddler minnows size 6 to 8, Clousers size 6, black stone fly nymph’s size 6 to 10, prince nymphs size 8 to 12, damsel fly nymphs size 6 to 12, Bomber dries size 10 to 14, elk hair caddis size 6 to 10, Parachute Adams size 10 to 16
- Leaders: 4 to 8 lb tapered leaders 6 to 9 ft.