A sweet, tart surprise invades every bite of this special breakfast or brunch. It’s a little fussy, but most can be done ahead of time. It is well worth the effort.
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (30 mL)
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated lemon rind (15 mL)
- 12 slices brioche OR French bread, 1 ½ inches (4 cm) thick *
- 10 eggs
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream (375 mL)
- Pinch salt
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon (2 mL)
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg (1 mL)
- ¼ cup white sugar (60 mL)
- 1 tsp. vanilla (5 mL)
- Butter OR margarine as needed
- Powdered sugar
- Mango, peach OR apricot preserves or jam
- Chopped nuts
- Sour cream **
1. Toss the bananas with lemon juice and rind.
2. (This is the fun part!) Cut into one side of each slice of bread to create a deep pocket. Stuff the pocket with banana slices.
3. In a shallow pan, whisk together eggs, cream, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and vanilla. This is as far as you can go in advance preparation.
4. Soak the stuffed bread in the egg mixture until very soggy, turning bread to soak both sides. Drain briefly, then sauté in butter until golden brown on both sides. Remove to a baking pan.
5. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 3-5 minutes, until bread puffs. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with preserves, nuts and sour cream on the side.
* Homemade bread will soak at a different rate than commercial breads, so you’ll have to judge when enough egg has been soaked up. Also, with our own French bread the slices are large, so we stuff the bananas in from both sides. You be the judge.
** Sour cream can be flavoured with almond extract or liqueur for a special treat OR you may prefer whipped cream!
From the cookbook Black Currants & Caribou, the second book in our Blueberries & Polar Bears cookbook series, page 64.