Helen Webber’s daughter Shari is a natural cook (which she comes by naturally), who naturally loves to experiment. This is her invention and it is delectable – naturally!
Wild Meatball Taste Teasers
- 2 lbs. Ground caribou, moose, deer or elk (1 kg)
- 3 tbsp. Soy sauce (45 mL)
- 1 tbsp. Brown sugar (15 mL)
- 10 oz. Can water chestnuts, finely chopped (284 mL)
- ½ cup Finely chopped onion (125 mL)
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) Dried parsley flakes OR 1 tbsp. (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Garlic cloves, minces OR ½ tsp. garlic powder (2 mL)
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Shape into bite-sized balls (approximately 4 dozen).
- Place meatballs on a greased baking sheet with sides and bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 15 minutes.
Makes about 4 dozen meatballs.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve hot with the following fruit sauce or sauce of your choice. Center fruit sauce on a glass plate and surround with meatballs. Provide toothpicks. Now enjoy!
- 3 tbsp. cider vinegar (45 mL)
- 1 cup apricot OR peach jam (250 mL)
- 1/4 tsp. paprika (1 mL)
- Combine all ingredients and pour into a small glass dish.
NOTE: If you make these ahead, just reheat them in the oven at 400°F (200°C) for 5 minutes.
From Blueberries & Polar Bears, page 8